*Miscellaneous weapons and armor : *
* Jade powder Dai Tsuchi *: this modified Dai Tsuchi is loaded with a dose of jade powder that get released sometimes.
Keywords : large.
DR : 5k2
Special : if you loaded the Dai Tsuchi with a dose of jade powder, the dose is released if you rolls a natural 10′ on one of your damage dice. If the target have at least one rank of the Shadowland taint, it must makes a stamina roll TN equal to damage roll, if failed the target is dazed.
* Tachi * (Kenjutsu: Tachi) : the tachi is the ancestor to the katana. It is the same length
to the katana, but less incurved and heavier. The first Tachi swords didn’t had folded steel, but the later ones, made just before the Agasha spread the katana folding technique, did used it.
Keywords : medium, samourai
DR : 2k2
* Pincer and Tail * (Spears: Pincer and Tail): this pseudo-Ashalan weapon is extremely
rare (only Shosuro Yudoka is known to have one) and cannot be used without the
emphasis. The weapon is a long staff with a pincer at one end and a dart at the other end.
Keywords : large
DR : 1k3 / 2k2
Special : you cannot use this weapon correctly without having the emphasis. This weapon makes the disarm and knockdown manoeuvrers requires one less raise, or instead can makes the extra attack manoeuvrer requires 2 less raises. In the case of an extra attack, use the second DR instead of the first one for damage.
* Lezam * (Kyujutsu: Lezam): this Tsuruchi training bow is made of bamboo with a chain.
The gaijin design of the weapon demands that the weapon be imported from the Ivory
Keywords : medium
Strength : 4
Range : 250′
Special : increase the TN of all the attacks by 10 on horseback. When firing while hidden, you have a free raise on your stealth roll to not be discovered.
* Toamijutsu * (ninjutsu : Toamiutsu) A Toamiutsu is a net that can grapple an opponent.
Keywords : peasant, ninja, small.
DR : 0k1
Range : 25′
Special : grapple. If you win the grapple, all the opponent’s TNs are increased by ten until freed, but suffers no harm from the net.
* Reinforced Gi* : those clothes have been reinforced with wood and metal in a very discreet way, so it can be used under normal clothing without anyone noticing. Ninjas and some shugenjas uses those while they are in situation in wich wearing obvious armor would be a problem.
TN : + 3, reduction : 0
* Ornate armor : *armor forged for the courts places emphasis on appearance and style over praticality. It may forge new alliances and draw attention on one’s wealth, yet even the vainest samourai will wear another suit on the battlefield.
Bonus to armor TN : + 8, reduction : 3, special rules : considered an heavy armor for all purposes, including the skill rolls penalties.
* Cleansing fire : *created by the Kuni when the jade-powdered bandages ran out, those are easy to create for any shugenja who know the technique and the spell ward of purity . If applied on a wound, it inflicts one wound to the wounded + 1 for each taint point that would be acquired by the wound, but the victim doesn’t gain any taint point from being wounded. The use of the Cleansing Fire leave often scars and each bandage can be used only once.
*Sacred weapons and armor :*
* The Dragon’s Ya*: (1 CP per arrow for Dragons Characters, 2 CP for other samourais)
The following types of arrows are created by Mizugusuri, with the exception of the black ones who are created with Kagaku. While they have been created by the Agasha family, most of the fabrication secrets have been kept by the Dragon. As such the Phoenix Agasha are still able to craft some, but it’s a longer and more difficult process that for the Dragon. Any arrow can be used only once and is fragile. To ignorant onlookers, they appear to be classical Ya (Willow Leaf) arrows. The clouds created by the arrows usually last 1d10 rounds but it depends of the weather condition. The following five types of arrows can be created:
* Blue Arrows*: on impact, these blue arrows explode and create a 5-foot diameter cloud. Everyone in the cloud must makes a willpower roll TN 20 or be fatigued. This particular condition end after one hour rest.
* Yellow Arrows*: on impact, yellow arrows explode and create a 10-foot diameter cloud that inflict the dazed conditional effect as long as the character stay in the cloud.
* Red Arrows*: on impact, any red arrow explodes into a raging inferno and inflicts burst damage (3k3 fire damage) to everything within 3 feet of the initial explosion.
* Green Arrows*: on impact, a green arrow explodes, releasing a 3-foot diameter cloud of pollen. Anyone in the affected area must make a Stamina TN 20 roll or is blinded for 1 round.
* Black Arrows*: on impact, a black arrow explodes into a black cloud of smoke that lasts one hour and affects an area 30 feet large. Characters in the smoke are considered blinded as long as they are in the cloud.
* Kouken Blade*: (6 CP for Phoenix Characters)
The Kouken blades are particular katanas created by the Phoenix clan since the Shiba and the Isawa decided to work together. Their power were at first linked only to the lands they were created in, but when the Shogun Kaneka joined the Phoenix clan, he ordered the shugenjas to modify those blades.
- While in the province it was created : katana with 3k3 damage, unbreakable, considered a nemuneranai.
- While in the Phoenix lands : katana with 3k3 damage and unbreakable.
- Outside of the Phoenix lands : katana with 3k3 damage.
- While in the Phoenix lands : katana with 3k3 damage and unbreakable.
- Outside of the Phoenix lands : katana with 3k3 damage.
- When a shugenja within 10′ spend a void point to activate this effect : katana with 3k3 damage, unbreakable, considered a nemuneranai.
* Akodo Armor*: (2 CP for Lion Characters)
An Akodo Armor is an exceptional quality light armor. It works like a normal light armor, but the reduction is increase to 4 while in mass battle, and the Akodo bushi rank 1 technique, the Way of the Lion, cannot be used to reduce this armor bonus to TN.
* Blacksteel Shuriken*: (7 CP for Scorpion and Goju Characters)
Those shurikens have been created to temporally disrupt the kamis on impact, distracting them so they don’t concentrate on spell effects. When a shugenja is hit by one of those shurikens, he must make a concentration check, whatever the damage suffered, like he had suffered more wounds than his earth ring. If the shugenja wasn’t concentrating, the shuriken disrupt a spell active on the target, who must make a concentration check like the first effect (if the spell is active on a non-shugenja, the concentration check is made by the casting shugenja) or have the spell end. If more than one spell is active, randomly determine the dispelled spell, but usually defensive spells are affected first. The shuriken can be reused, and follow the same rules as normal shurikens.
* Demon Armor*: (2/3/6 CP for Crab Characters)
Demon Armor are a modified heavy armor covered with spikes to wound their opponents. To deal damage with the armor, the wearer must make a Agility/ Jiujutsu (improvised weapon) roll against the opponent’s TN to be hit. When making the extra attack manoeuvrer, it requires 2 less raises to perform if the extra attack is performed with the Demon Armor. Demon Armor are all personalised and the armor penalties are doubled if someone tries to use one and isn’t the one it has been adjusted for.
2 CP Demon Armor is a classical heavy armor, dealing 2k1 damage.
3 CP Demon Armor is a large heavy armor, dealing 3k2 damage.
6 CP Demon Armor is a jade spiked heavy armor, dealing 1k1 damage unless the
target is tainted. In that case, the armor deals 3k3 damage.
* Jade Egg*: (1 CP for Crab Characters)
This particular item has been created by some Kaiu, this egg-shaped device can be thrown using agility / athletics (throwing), up to 60 feet. On impact, the egg explodes and creates a 5-foot cloud. The cloud is irritating to any living being, requiring an Earth roll TN 10 or the being is blinded for 3 Rounds. The resist roll is increased by 20 for tainted characters and they are dazed for one round, regardless of the resist roll.
* Kenku Blade*: (7 CP; Special)
This katana may only be granted by a kenku sensei to his/her students. The kenku blade are usually gave back to the kenku who offered it when the samourai retires. It grants the wearer the benefit of the Breath of Wind style kata (core-book p 259), but doesn’t count as a kata (but cannot be combined with the Breath of Wind style kata).
* Kenshin Saya*: (1 CP for Crane Characters)
All Kenshin sayas are tailor-made for the katana it will house, and they are made only for katanas, never any other weapons. It cleans and polish instantly the sword that is put in, applying the Beneficience of the ancestors on it. It’s a lacquer that the Asahina shugenja and the Kakita artisan created together, and the Kenshin saya have been created with the magical ability to create it endlessly. This lacquer protects it from age and weather.
* Second Duty Armor*: (6 CP for Dragon Characters)
Named by Mirumoto Temoru from the second duty of the clan, to hunt dangerous nemuranai (the first duty being the one given to Togashi by Hantei), those armor are made by the Tamori to help Mirumoto Bushis. They are crafted from earth and air kamis and requires months to be made. This armor increases the TN of hostile spells targeting the wearer by twice the wearer’s ring (the ring applied is the same as the one the caster used to cast the spell). Those armor exist in both heavy and light version.
* Crow Staff*: (2 CP for Monk or Dragon Characters)
Once per day, the wielder can summon a crow for a number of rounds equal to their wielder’s
void rank. The summoned crow will obey any command as much as he can understand, unless the command endangers the crow’s life. The wielder can communicate with the crow. You need to have the staff for a week before being able to use the summoning ability. Those staves are created in remembrance of the bird who guided Shinsei and the Thunders.
* Tsuruchi’s arrows * : (1 CP for 4 Arrows; Tsuruchi Characters only)
There is two types of those arrows (of any type). They can be used only once.
- Wind Kins : an answer from Tsuruchi Ichiro after experiencing too much weather magic, those arrows ignore any weather or range related penalties.
- Tsuruchi’s eye : you can add your reflexes rank to your damage.
* Tsuke’s Revenge * : (1 CP for Phoenix Characters)
A creation of Tsuke’s son, Isawa Hochiu, to provide cheap weapons able to fight invulnerable creatures. These arrows burn at the tip and deal an additional 1k1 magic fire damage separate to the normal damage, damage that ignores reduction and invulnerability outside of invulnerability to fire.
* Hunt’s Helm*: (1 CP for Unicorn Characters)
The Unicorn brought back a proud and strong tradition of hunting from their travel, and they have a great hunt everyone that grant the title of Master of the Hunt. This helm grants a free raise on all contested Hunting rolls with non-intelligent characters and an insight rank bonus to attack rolls against such creatures.
* Sharp-Sharp Stick*: (5 CP for Ratling Characters)
The ratlings have survived during thousands of years and became adept at salvaging weapons. A Sharp-Sharp Stick can be any sharp weapon and deals + 1k0 to the normal damage. On
damage rolls with the weapon, the wielder may reroll 9′s when hitting non-human tainted characters. Only the first 9′s is rerolled.
* Serpent Bow*: (3 CP for Naga Characters)
The Naga are talented archers and they developed powerful bows, that allow the wearer to fire while moving on his own tail, making it a more difficult target. This Naga bow is a Yumi with 4 strength and that increases the wielder’s TN to be hit against ranged attacks by five if he is a Naga.
* Ichiro Axe: * (5 CP for Badger Characters)
The Badger clan survived in a dangerous region, and learned to survive there with what they have. This Ono has a damage rating of 1k4 that ignore 2 of the reduction of the target.
* Kitsune Nagamaki * : (3 CP for Kitsune Characters)
The fox clan has a tradition with polearms, their second ancestral weapon being the fox Nagamaki. As such, they produced copies of this weapon as sacred weapons, those Nagamaki have a damage rating of 3k3 and increases the wielder’s TN to be hit by the wielder’s Reflexes trait while in defense or full defense stance.
* Reichin’s Helm*: (2 CP for Hare Characters)
This helm increases the TN of maho spells targeting the wearer by five and also increases the
wearer’s your TN to be hit by two. The first one was made as a gift to the Hare clan founder, and the technique was later copied to create a serie of armor piece to give as gift.
* Utaku saddle cutter : *(6 CP, 5 CP for Utaku Battle-maidens)
This long and curved no-daichi as a DR of 6k3, with + 3 to damage rolls when on horseback. It’s name came from the fact some peoples have been able to cut people with their horse ine one stroke. This weapon is two handed and can’t be handled with one hand for any reason.
* Crippled Bone Blade*: (3 CP for Ratling Characters)
A 3k2 katana that grants a free raise to hit non-Nezumi characters. Those blades have been recovered from dead samourais by ratling scroungers, et modified by the name of the bearer.
* Dai-Kyu Of Anekkusai*: (1 CP for Unicorn Characters, 2 CP for other characters)
This Dai-kyu has an enhanced bow strength of 5. When the Unicorn returned to Rokugan, the Crane offered them the first of those Dai-kyu, wich was later copied.
* Katana Of The Twilight Mountains*: (3 CP for Boar Characters, 4 for others)
Those katanas have been forged by the Boar clan before its extermination by the Agasha Ryude. They are sometimes found now among ronins and recovered from ruins, they are normal 3k2 katanas, but they carry a special link to the spirit realms from the special iron found in the Twilight mountains. They bypass all reduction and invulnerability for creatures with the spirit trait.
* Armor Of The Twilight Mountains*: (4 CP for Boar Characters, 5 CP for others)
This heavy armor grants an additional + 3 TN and + 1 reduction against attacks from creatures with the spirit trait. Those creatures cannot ignore the TN and reduction of this armor.
* Gihei*: (1 CP for Dragonfly Characters, 2 CP for other monks and shugenjas)
This is a ceremonial bo staff used by monks and shugenja, it grants + 1g0 to meditation rolls.
* Armor of the Topaz Champion*: (Special)
This armor is offered as a reward to the winner of the Topaz Championship, but he must return it for next year’s championship. This is a light armor wich only increase rolls by + 3 instead of + 5 and that grant the prodigy advantage if the character doesn’t have it when worn.
*Armor of the Storm Heart : * (3 CP for Mantis characters).
Created after accidents involving two shugenjas who didn’t coordinated their weather spells and sunk their ships, those light armor do not increase the TN of athletics rolls and grant the Blood of Osano-wo advantage if the character doesn’t have it when worn.
* Tsuruchi longbow : * ( 1 CP for Tsuruchi characters of the Tsuruchi archer school, 2 CP for others Tsuruchi characters).
The Tsuruchi mastered archery to a level no others samourais ever did, from the lessons of the Lion and Scorpions archers to the technology introduced with the Lezam, they created the best bows in the Empire. The Tsuruchi longbow is a yumi with strength 5.
* Anekkusai’s feathers : * (1 CP for Crane and Unicorn characters, 2 CP for others bushis).
After the Crane offered the Dai-kyu of Anekkusai, the Unicorn shugenjas worked on a gift to give back to the Crane, and created the Anekkusai’s feathers to give them back. They are identical to the Wind Kins of the Tsuruchi.
* Shuriken of serpents : * (6 CP for Scorpion and Goju characters).
Often considered a maho item, despite studies never being able to prove it, this 1k2 shuriken magically create a venom (see p 333) once it hit to make it enter the bloodstream.
*Silk and steel kimono : * (1 CP for Crane and Scorpion courtiers, 2 CP for others characters).
The first ones were created by the Asahina, they work like an ashigaru armor despite being a kimono of excellent quality. The TN and reduction cannot be stacked with an armor.
*Blood arrows of Yajinden : * (1 CP for Spider and Shadowland characters).
Created by Yajinden to equip Iuchiban’s undead archers, they have been copied by many Bloodspeakers since. The shadowland taint of those arrows is undetectable until it is fired. Those arrows’ damage is increased by 1k1 and are considered tainted for shadowland taint points gained from wounds. They are destroyed after use.
*Hammer of Earth : *(6 CP for Crab characters, 7 CP for other characters).
One of the minor elemental items, it is often found among Kuni shugenja who likes to create them. They are Dai-tsuchi who are indestructible and reduce reduction by the wearer’s earth ring.
*Jade bow : *(5 CP for Crab characters, 6 CP for others characters).
During the first war against the Shadowlands, the Tribe of Isawa teached the clans about how to make weapons to fight those, and the Agasha quickly created those yumis, who are for most held by the Crab. A number of times per day equal to the Void ring the bow can fire an arrow without having one loaded, and this arrow is considered jade for the purpose of invulnerability and reduction.
* Masamune katana : * (6 CP for ronin characters).
Masamune was a ronin Emerald champion, and a great swordsmith. And his stories is dismissed by clan samourais, his swords are only found among ronins. They are 3k3 katanas who reduce reduction by 3 if you have more honor than your opponent.
*Tamori katana / Agasha katana : * (6CP for Dragon and Agasha characters).
Inheritance of the ancient technique of the Agasha blacksmithes who first created katanas, those swords have been forged by the Dragon for centuries, and now a bit by the Phoenix. They are 3k2 gold-metal katanas who grants the bearer the kata “Striking as Earth”, but it count as a kata when used, but can be used by peoples who can’t use katas normally.
*Tao bow :* (7 CP for Dragon and monk characters).
The Dragon clan created the art of the Tao archery, the art of finding a target through some sort of meditation when shooting. The Tao Bow is a bow that has been used by dozens of Taoist archers during years and carry some of their art within it. This yumi allows the user to spend a void point to ignore a friendly target on the way of his target, but the friendly target must not be in melee and you can ignore only one friendly target by shoot. When using this yumi, you can use void instead of reflexes when making an attack roll. Your kyujutsu skill is limited by your meditation skill when firing this bow : for example, if you have kyujutsu 5 and meditation 3, you roll as if you had kyujutsu 3 only.
*Mantle of fire *: (3 CP for shugenja characters).
One of the minor elemental item, your school rank is considered one higher for spell effects that require the school rank (not casting spell) when using fire spell. It also works as higlhy recognisable silk and steel kimono.
*Living bone : *(2 CP for Spider and Lost characters).
Enchanted bones is used by the Lost for armor and weapons. Weapons have + 1kO to damage and attacks rolls, and armor + 4 to TN and reduction + 1. Both weapons and armor need to be feed blood every day or the character gain the disadvantage : compulsion (4 points : feed the living bones) until he has feed the bones. Enchanted bones are tainted.
* Blacksteel armor : * (1 CP for Spider and Lost characters).
Blacksteel is made of steel mixed with obsidian powder. + 1 reduction if the bearer is tainted. Non-tainted bearer gain the disadvantage : compulsion (2 points : accept taint from the armor)
*Oni Chitin armor : *(4 CP for Spider and Lost characters).
Armor made from oni chitin have a reduction rating increased by 4. Bearer are considered to be travelling in the Shadowlands without jade while wearing oni chitin armor, and make two rolls in case they are actually travelling in the Shadowlands. Lost don’t make those rolls.
* Inheritance :*
Example of normal inheritance items with possible bonus :
- Imperial writs : edicts signed by the Emperor itself sometimes gain power with time as they become symbols for peoples. Such nemuranais can offer bonuses to courtier, etiquette, lore : law, sincerity, depending the subject.
- Essence of Tengoku : a little netsuke decorated of the images of the Dragons of the 5 elements. Bonus : lore : elemental dragons, lore : spirit realms.
- Sun kites : decorated kites devoted to Fortunes. Bonus : lore : omens, divination.
- Copper gong of Otaku Masero : used to save the Otaku stables from a fire, they are used for ceremonies. Bonus : meditation, divination.
- Candle of Void : one of the minor elemental items (a serie of elemental items that are created by shugenjas, in differences of those inspired by the Oracles of Light). Bonus : meditation, divination, lore : theology, lore : elements.
- Drums of Water : one of the minor elemental items. Bonus : meditation, lore : elements, perform : drums.
- Kaimetsu-uo’s satchel : Mantis shugenjas put air kamis inside to help sailing. Bonus : craft : shipbuilding, sailing.
- Night crystal sceptre : the Unicorn found items made of this special material known as the night crystal in the City of Night. Bonus : spellcraft, lore : elements.
- Akodo’s eye : a tessen fan made in memory of the lost eye of Akodo. Bonus : lore : war, lore : bushido, battle.
- Emperor’s eye : a small diamond for magistrates used as a symbol. Bonus : lore : law, investigation.
- Feet of the Kitsune : a pair of sandal made by the Fox clan. Bonus : hunting.
- Hiruma’s hakama : dark hakama made for Hiruma scouts. Bonus : stealth.
- Nio’s fan : fan made in memory of Doji’s first son. Bonus : etiquette, sincerity.
- Tapestry of air : one of the elemental items. Bonus : meditation, lore : elements, perform : oratory, perform : storytelling, artisan : poetry.
- Unicorn’s / Steel saddle : a modified saddle. Bonus : horsemanship, animal handling.
- Sashimono : a back banner. Bonus : lore : heraldry.
- Subtility of court : a book about the court by Otomo Madoko. Bonus : courtier, etiquette, sincerity.
- Lantern of serenity : bonus to meditation, lore : theology.
- Void amulet : a Phoenix amulet with Void kanji. Bonus : meditation, tea ceremony.
- Rainbow cape : a Scorpion cape. Bonus : stealth.
- Kage mask : scorpion mask that can slightly alter his features. Bonus : acting, temptation.
Inheritance : *Naga pearls. *(3 CP for Naga characters, 5 CP for White pearl).
Those pearls are big, from 1 to 2 inches wide, and higly decorated. Each of them has two powers, the first one common to all of them. A shugenja can use them to banish the kamis of the elements of the pearl with 2 less raises than normal. The second power can only be used by a Naga jakla and is different for each pearl. A naga shugenja can cast the spell in the pearl even if he doesn’t know it as long as he has the pearl.
- Air pearl : can be used to cast blessed wind (air 1) air rank times per day without spending a spell slot.
- Earth pearl : can be used to cast earth’s stagnation (earth 1) earth rank times per day without spending a spell slot.
- Fire pearl : can be used to cast The Raging Forge (fire 1) fire rank times per day without spending a spell slot.
- Water pearl : can be used to cast The Rushing Wave (water 1) water rank times per day without spending a spell slot.
- White pearl : looking like alabaster to the look, it allows you to cast any of the spells of the air, earth, fire and water pearl spells, akasha rank times per day without spending a spell slot.
Inheritance : *storm bottle. *(2 CP for Mantis characters).
Once thrown it cast the spell “Fury of Osano-wo” (fire 1) with 2 raises for damage. No casting roll required, but an athletic (throwing) to have the bottle it the target. One use.
Inheritance : *twilight lantern / Subtle flames.* (2 CP for Phoenix, Moshi and Dragon characters, 4 for others).
First created by the Dragon clan, the secrets are now shared with the Phoenix, through the Agasha, but the Moshi created their own with another system. Those lanterns held a fire kami (that must be replaced every week with a summon spell) that will light or extinguish the lantern at will on a word command.
Inheritance : *White Oak brew. *(1 CP for Phoenix characters, 2 CP for others).
Created at the Morning Glory Castle from leaves of the White Oak, it can be drunk to cast the spell “Path to Inner Peace” (water 1) on the drinker cast by a Iuchi shugenja rank 2 / water 3.
Inheritance : *yobanjin powder. *(1 CP / 4 doses for Phoenix, Tortoise and Mantis characters).
It can be used when casting a spell to grant one free raise for damage, but only one dose can be used by spell. For the next hour, you have TN +5 when casting sense, commune, summon.
Inheritance : *shadowed powder. *(3 CP for members of the Shadowed Tower).
This powder can be created after 6 hours by trained members of the Shadowed Tower using rare plants found only in the Scorpion lands. Anyone taking a dose gain for a day the disadvantages : compulsion (4 points : taking another dose of powder), frail mind, gullible. Following doses reduces willpower by 1. This is a poison, and it can’t be hidden in any products : it smells and taste strongly. It must be ingested to take effect.
Inheritance : *jade pendant / blessed jade netsuke. *(5 CP Crab and Crane, 6 CP others).
Those netsukes have been enchanted or created from Jade from Yomi, and as such count as a finger of jade. But those jade can never be corrupted by the Shadowland taint and lose it’s power of protection.
Inheritance : *vision incense. *(1 CP for 3 doses, Kitsu shugenja only).
When used, this incense allows Kitsu shugenjas to share their vision of the spirit worlds with one people per dose, for the duration of the burning of the incense. Those peoples can’t interact, they just see through the eyes of the Kitsu as he uses his techniques and spells.